The Misfits

This is about our family's journey to a new norm after our son Chris was seriously injured in an IED explosion while deployed to Afghanistan. I chose the title "A Misfit's Mother's Journey" to honor some small way all the amazing young men in his squad, "Martin's Misfits". I owe a debt to these amazing men who worked together to save my son's and his buddy's lives and to the young man who sadly lost his life. This is a debt I can never repay. I hope you will find inspiration in our story and admiration of the young men who understand the consequences and are still willing to risk life and limb in the hope of protecting others.

Monday, September 24, 2012

26 June Facebook Post

The warmth of the sun feels so good, but so does the occasional cool breeze. It helps me focus on watching out for the rocks underneath me as I run. Meanwhile my brain is screaming at me "Why didn't you wait until evening when it's cooler?" and my lungs are yelling "We told you you should have ran this weekend!" I tell both to shut up and enjoy this quiet time and all the heavenly smells coming off the plants as they warm in the sun. It's nice not having to think about all the doctors and just be able to think about my boy, Brad, Nathan and all their friends. About their bravery and dedication and their love for this country but more importantly each other. It pushes me to run my 1st 3 miles in over a year. I look at the hospital sitting on top of the hill, cold and hard but knowing that inside are people full of love and warmth for their fellow warrior and his well being. It becomes a beacon of hope, a pillar of strength and a welcoming home. Pulling me back to my boys, Chris and Brad, and all the sadness of the occasional setbacks and all the joy that comes along with watching them grow and improve. I revel in the appreciation of knowing just what it means to be able to be here to be apart of it. Always be thankful for all miracles, of every size! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment